- This event has passed.
Black Lives Matter Artist Grant Exhibition
January 18 - April 30Free
Black Lives Matter Artist Grant Exhibition is now open from January 18, 2022 through April 30, 2022, featuring work by twenty Oregon-based artists. The Black Lives Matter Artist Grant Program is a multi-university granting project established by Jordan Schnitzer that has awarded funding to 60 emerging, mid-career, and established artists whose practices demonstrate a commitment to social justice. This granting initiative, which categorically references the Black Lives Matter movement(s), gestures towards the germinating financial and intellectual investment in artwork borne out of a continuing, centuries-long fight for Black autonomy, freedom, and most notably, life.
The 20 artists selected for the Portland State University Black Lives Matter Artist Grant Exhibition stretch the notion of ‘socially engaged artwork’ beyond its cursory definition, resulting in a collection of objects which require multiple shifts in perspective. Through installation, photography, video, painting, performance, textiles, sculpture, poetry, and printmaking, this exhibition is a microcosm of allied and conflicting political, social, and aesthetic approaches.
- January 18
- April 30
- Event Categories:
- closing soon, Oregon, Portland
- Event Tags:
- Black Lives Matter, Black Lives Matter Artist Grant Program, contemporary art, installation, Jordan Schnitzer, Oregon Artists, painting, performance, Photography, poetry, Portland State University, printmaking, sculpture, social justice, textiles, video
- Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art
- Wheelchair accessible, Service Animals allowed
- BIPOC artist(s), Women artist(s), LGBTQIA+ artist(s)
- Event Type
- Exhibition, Gallery, Museum, Visual Art, Performance Art, Sound Art, Film & Video, Public Art
- Pandemic Info